In compliance with the directives issued by His Excellency the President of the Republic of Uganda in his address to the nation on Sunday 6th June 2021, to protect and safeguard the public against the Covid-19 pandemic, the Management Committee of LDC through the Director Frank Nigel Othembi directed as follows:
- The Law Development Centre (all campuses) shall be CLOSED for academic activities for a period of
forty two (42) days with effect from Monday 7th June to Sunday 18th July, 2021.
- All teaching staff and students are discharged from academic duties and obligations at LDC. There
shall be no physical teaching for the period of closure. The Director may guide on online teaching.
- All examinations (oral and written) including supplementary and special examinations are
suspended with immediate effect until further notice.
- All teaching staff (part time lecturers and full time teaching staff) must be fully vaccinated against
covid-19 before being allowed to teach at LDC. The said teaching staff shall be required to provide
proof of vaccination. LDC shall endeavor to facilitate vaccination of all staff.
- Administrative functions/service provision including the LDC Legal Aid Clinic will continue. Staff are
encouraged to work from home, remote locations outside LDC and/or online. LDC shall schedule
staff to work in shifts so that no more than 30% of staff shall work physically from the campuses at
any given time. For avoidance of doubt LDC is not shutting down its administrative functions.
- A revised academic timetable with rescheduled academic activities including teaching and
examinations shall be communicated by LDC in due course before expiry of the 42 day period.
- Students undertaking internship in placement institutions shall where possible continue with such
internship (including working from home if required by their supervisor). Where a student cannot
continue internship due to institutional covid-19 restrictions he or she shall inform the relevant head
of teaching department who shall reschedule internship to a future date at no cost to the student.
- Meetings, workshops, seminars and retreats of LDC involving more than 20 persons to take place
during the 42 day period of closure are hereby cancelled and shall be re-scheduled in due course.
- Official travel between campuses and between Districts is suspended.
- Staff, students, visitors and guests of LDC are urged to adhere to guidelines and directives issued
from time to time by Government and LDC including the covid-19 SOPs currently in force.
- LDC graduation shall take place as a virtual/online ceremony on 11th June, 2021 as schedule
- LDC will resume normal operations on Monday 19th July, 2021 unless advised otherwise.