By Jemimah Emasu
Its about that time, freshers are on the hunt for hostels. Many filled with excitement and naivety too. These here are the COMMANDMENTS to bare in mind while making this milestone decision in your life.
1.Thou shall consider the atmosphere. Before you scorn at this commandment, take it from the number one hostel hopper. If you are a nerd,you will most definitely want one far away from bars, the road and one with stingy rules on room parties!
2. Thou shall put the building basics into consideration. By this, I don’t really mean the architecture of the building but the rooms. Is the flooring in good shape? Is the bathroom section occupying 80% of the room? Is the water pressure strong enough for a good shower? etc
3. Thou shall also put the affordability factor into consideration. How much the room you want costs? Can your parents afford this amount without having to starve the family? This Commandment should actually be at number one!
4. Thou shall consider the location and transportation factor as you go hostel hunting. Is there an adequate parking space (if you’re fortunate to own a Vitz or Spacio) And if you’re trying to get by without a car, is it close to public transportation (ie taxi, boda bodas and even bicycles!)? Its proximity to campus as well as to supermarkets and food joints is key in your decision making.
5. Thou shall be mindful of the amenities as well. Does it have a backup plan should UMEME prove to be a nuisance? Does it have a reading room where you can escape to when your roomie entertains her extremely loud friends? Does it have a common room where you can watch soccer or your favourite soap from? Etc
6. Thou shall be mindful of the security. Do the doors lock??? Are the visiting rules too strict or are they relaxed? Choose what suits you! We all differ in preference. Thou shall inquire of staffing details. How friendly are the care takers? How fast do they attend to your problems? Generally, are you guaranteed of “5- star treatment”.
In summary, are you receiving the worth of your money??