Following the Presidential directive that obliged all academic institutions, both private and public to reopen for the sake of finalists finally completing their studies scheduled for the 15th of October 2020.
University student leaders from Uganda Christian University, Kyambogo University and Makerere University have assembled a fierce rebellion in the form of a petition to halt the said commencement should continuing students not be considered.
Our reporter, while speaking to the aforementioned student leaders gathered that the bandit addressed their concerns about the re-opening of educational Institutions to the parliament of Uganda through the Rt Honourable Speaker of the Parliament and vowed to use all other channels to see to it that their grievances are addressed.
Amongst the seemingly direct yet tedious grievances addressed to the Speaker by the band of “finalists’ dream rippers” are;
1. Consideration of tuition waivers and financial policy amendments to see that students with financial hardships (especially those from humble background) can suitably accomplish their studies in this far stretched economy.
2. KCCA exemptions and waivers on taxes (Property and URA taxes) that are collected from property holders (students’ hostels and rentals) which in turn is pushed to students renting these properties, causing evictions and withholding of students properties.
3. Suspension of the E-Learning.
4. Consideration of a stimulus package for the Special Needs students.
5. Developing a mechanism for the students with Retakes.
6. Preparations for the reopening for the continuing students by the Ministry of education.
7. Effective communication about the re-opening among others.
Quoting Kyambogo guild president Jonathan Tundulu, our reporter learnt that the musketeers intend not to tire-down until their issues yield momentum and are effectuated.
Gather more on this story and more right here on Campus Bee. Your trusted source for all campus related shenanigans.
Discussion about this post