After yesterday’s security intelligence report implicating higher institutions of learning especially Christian oriented one’s like Uganda Christian University as next possible targets by the Al’ Shabaab insurgents, the university’s vice-chancellor Reverend Canon Dr. John Seyonyi has released an official security alert notice to the entire university community.
To: The UCU Community
From: The Vice Chancellor
Re: SECURITY ALERT TO UCU COMMUNITY!
I greet you all in the precious Name of our risen Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Please allow me to draw your attention to the security alert following the recent terrorist attack at Garissa University College in Northern Kenya, and various warnings on the same. We have received fresh warning from the Uganda Police of a terror alert directed at educational institutions, and security has been stepped up at UCU. These could come in the form of MURDER, ARSON (Burning buildings) OR HOSTAGE TAKING.
I am writing to call for your watchfulness and vigilance about your own security, the security of those around you, and of buildings/property.
1. As always, the most vulnerable are the highly populated areas; the University is one such place. I urge you to keep alert and take particular precaution. Keep away if there is no necessity for you to be in a crowded public place.
2. Please desist from late night movements, especially as a pedestrian. If you must move at night, DO NOT WALK ALONE!
3. Abstain from high-risk behavior, such as nightclubs or other illicit pleasures, which expose you to real personal danger.
4. Turn your suspicions into a report to security personnel. A suspicious person or a suspicious parcel may be real peril to life. DO NOT TOUCH an abandoned or suspicious parcel; CALL SECURITY IMMEDIATELY!
5. Please continue to cooperate with both Police and University security personnel at all times and carry your ID with you all the time. Do not resist searches by security personnel. They are here to serve us all.
6. Please note that until a ‘stand down’ of the security alert is given, you are advised to use the University’s main gate as all other gates are to remain closed.
7. Finally, Be Your Brother’s/Sister’s Keeper. Care for each other’s life. Protect your property, and the University property. Warn or help one another to protect life. Be a community that promotes life, your life and the life of the person next to you.
Please do not panic but be watchful always. I wish you God’s blessings during this Easter season as we celebrate the victorious and glorious resurrection of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. KEEP ALIVE. Amen.