Winifred Kabumbuli, the Makerere University Acting Dean of Students has revealed that students without the official university email address will not be able to access the electronic voting system that will be used for the forthcoming guild elections.
Kabumbuli, who did not reveal when the elections will kick off further explained that the email address will also be used to access the Makerere University E-Learning Environment (MUELE) as well as other university ICT services such as wireless internet.
“You are all encouraged to login into https://sso.mak.ac.ug/ to generate your Makerere University email address. Without this official University email address, it will not be possible to access the electronic voting system that will be used for the forthcoming student elections.” Kabumbuli’s statement reads in part.
All college domain based email address will be discontinued in the near future and are not eligible for electronic voting. Continuing students with the above emails are advised to activate new webmail accounts (@students.mak.ac.ug) through http://sso.mak.ac.ug/ to avoid inconveniences.” the statement reads further.
According to Kabumbuli, the process of generating student email accounts will close on Friday the 23rd April 2021.
Below are the steps how students can create Makerere University emails;
1. Click or copy and paste this link into an internet browser: https://sso.mak.ac.ug/
2. Click “STUDENT ACCOUNT” and select “Activate my webmail account”
Important: Only registered students for the Academic Year 2019/2020 can activate email addresses through the above link).
3. Follow process to create your student email address.
Important: During the creation process, please provide an active alternative email (preferably @gmail.com) that you can later use to recover your webmail password should need arise. Once created, click https://webmail.mak.ac.ug/ to login into your university email address.
CHANGE OR RECOVER YOUR LOST EMAIL PASSWORD
Through the same portal, students can recover or change their passwords by;
1. Click or copy and paste this link in an internet browser https://sso.mak.ac.ug/
2. Click “STUDENT ACCOUNT” and select “Change/Recover my password” and;
3. Enter your webmail address and a One Time Passcode (OTP) will be sent to the
alternative email you provided during activation.
4. Follow process to change or recover lost email password.